Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May, 2011

I finished this project last week but didn’t get around to posting it. Oops. I bought this dress for $7 dollars at the goodwill, and figured that since it was SUPER huge I would have some fun altering it. I’m definitely a sucker for Seersucker. I actually tried it on at Target last year but couldn’t bring myself to buy–my super thrifty muscles always get a good workout at Target.

Before

After

I didn’t want to do a lot of cutting on this project, so rather than completely unstitch and redo the bodice I did some gathering at the top of the cups.  First I pulled up the dress so the cups actually were at my breasts ( not under my ribs). Then I made little mini pleats, folded the straps over on them, and sewed up the sides. Voila! A bodice with lovely gathering that actually makes it look like I have a nice set of boobs.

Close Up.

Now for the back shot.

Before

After

Hooray for shirring! The powers of this little technique never fail to surprise me. This was originally just a saggy flat waistband, but with a little elastic thread, a few rows of stitching, and a little steam pressing I got a fully gathered back skirt that fits at my waist instead of dropping down to my butt.

I love the way this dress came out, and am just waiting for the weather to become warm so I can enjoy it! (Raining and cold at the end of May? Seriously?)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Maui and Me

Another year older and still addicted to pets. (Shhhh… Don’t tell my brother I posted a baby pic with him in it. :  )

I was greeted this morning by a sweet tabby cat out by my car. I gave him some pets and then headed off to an uneventful day of work (the best kind of work days in my book).

Peanut Butter Pound Cake

I then followed up the day with a homemade Peanut Butter Pound Cake because no birthday is complete without a delicious cake.

Click here to print your own recipe!

I stumbled across this free recipe card at Domestifluff and couldn’t resist putting it to good use. There are tons of free super cute recipe cards floating around the interwebs, and my plan is to track down my favorites and put my recipes on them to share with my friends and family.  Enjoy!

Read Full Post »

Original Sweater

I love the cut of this sweater and was super bummed when it got a hole in the side.

Not only could I not wear it anymore, but I couldn’t donate it either. So I decided to get crafty.

I’ve been loving reading through Grosgrain’s Embellish Knit Month, and was inspired to make some of my own edits.

First I cut all the way down the center of my sweater and trimmed off the ribbed bottom. Then I moved the ribbing up, thereby getting rid of the dratted hole, and sewed it with the unfinished edges on the outside for a ruffly look. Lastly I took the extra fabric I trimmed off the waist and made some fabric flowers. I’m officially obsessed with how cute and easy they are.

Read Full Post »

Isn’t she just super sweet? Look at those lusciously long eyelashes. She’ll make a whimsical addition to my future etsy shop!

In other news, I’m thinking of setting up a stitch-onary tab and detailing some of the embroidery stitches I use with pictures. I’ve been trying to work on my photography too, but it turns out I can’t change the aperture values on my digital camera. I scoured my booklet and messed around with all the settings. I can make it either take a regular photo or blur the whole image, but not focus in on a detail. Blarghhhhhh!!! My next camera will be much fancier than just a point and click.

Read Full Post »

Piecings and Plans

I’m afraid I may be addicted. I pieced together my first quilt square!

Using the rotary cutter and mat was super fun! And a lot harder than it looks on the internet, though I hear there is a learning curve. I’ve got all my fingers in tact still, which is a plus.

The piecing was really easy to put together and sew, and probably the most rewarding part. I pinned the top, interfacing, and solid backing together and prepared myself for what I thought was going to be the hardest task–quilting the ripples. I ended up not doing circles like in my template since it turns out I don’t have the right machine foot for it, but I made partial circles with my walking foot and it gave the look I wanted.

Binding

I was completely surprised that the hardest part of this project was attaching the binding. Sewing it to the front wasn’t too difficult, though I had a heck of a time closing the gap where the two  ends came together. I made double fold binding, which was a lot thicker than I wanted and made it hard to finish the mitered corners. Next time I’m making something small I’ll have to remember to use single binding.

Back with Binding

Then I flipped over the binding and hand stitched it to the back. Thanks to the thick binding the coaster is a little bumpy and uneven on the back, but now I know how to fix that.

Teal Koi

And ta-da! A finished coaster complete with Koi fish embroidery! Now to make a complete set for Etsy!

For next time:

1. Measure, measure, measure, and then cut.

2. Cut the backing about a 1/4″ longer on all sides. After quilting my backing ended up being a little smaller than the top which made applying the binding more of a chore. The binding ended up uneven because it had to pull over farther than it was prepared to in order to cover the raw edges.

3. Measure the corners with a ruler (not my eyeball) when attaching the binding to the front. There is a really good looking tutorial at The Sometimes Crafter that I want to try next time.

Read Full Post »